According to 800zipcodes, Voluntown, Connecticut is a small town located in the southeast corner of the state. The town has a total area of 39.2 square miles and is bordered by Rhode Island to the east and Massachusetts to the west. The town is situated in a rural area with many small farms and woodlands. The climate in Voluntown is fairly mild with warm summers and cold winters, typical of New England weather patterns.
Voluntown was incorporated in 1721 and was named after its first settlers, who were volunteers from Rhode Island who came to this area to establish a new settlement. The early economy was based on agriculture and fishing, but today it’s more focused on light manufacturing and tourism.
The town has an elected Board of Selectmen that governs local politics. It also has an active volunteer fire department that serves the community in times of need.
As far as schools go, Voluntown Elementary School serves students from pre-K through sixth grade, while Griswold Middle School serves grades seven through eight. For high school students, nearby Stonington High School offers courses for grades nine through twelve.
Voluntown is home to several historic sites including Fort Hill Farm which dates back to 1690, as well as Lillibridge House which was constructed in 1750 and served as home for several generations of Lillibridge families until its recent renovation into a museum. Other landmarks include the Jonathan Palmer House (1730) which has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1975; Gillette Castle State Park which features beautiful views of the Connecticut River Valley; and Pachaug State Forest which offers plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, camping and swimming during summer months.
In addition to its rich history and natural beauty, Voluntown also boasts a vibrant economy with many small businesses located throughout the area offering goods and services like retail products, restaurants, professional services such as accounting or legal advice; medical facilities; cultural attractions like art galleries or theaters; financial institutions; churches; libraries; post offices; auto repair shops; hotels; grocery stores ;and much more. These businesses have provided employment opportunities for residents over time while contributing significantly to Voluntown’s tax base thus allowing for improvements in infrastructure along with other public services such as police protection or street maintenance.
Population: 2,528. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,631 (+4.1% change)
Males: 1,290 (51.0%), Females: 1,238 (49.0%)
New London County
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $56,802
Median house value: $124,200
Races in Voluntown:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
- American Indian (1.6%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (19.1%), Irish (17.5%), German (12.7%), French Canadian (12.3%), French (11.9%), Italian (9.7%).
Elevation: 275 feet
Voluntown, Connecticut is a rural town located in New London County. It is home to approximately 4,500 people and covers an area of 43.2 square miles. The town is mainly residential with a few small businesses located in the downtown area. The majority of the population is Caucasian with a smaller percentage of African-Americans, Asians, and other ethnicities also present. Median household income in Voluntown falls just below the national average at $56,000 per year. The median age is 44 years old which is slightly higher than the national average.
The cost of living in Voluntown is very reasonable due to its rural setting and lack of major industry or businesses; the median home price for the area is around $200,000 which remains consistent year after year despite some fluctuations in other markets. The town has an unemployment rate that hovers just above 4%. Education levels vary but most residents have at least a high school diploma or equivalent; approximately 15% have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher while another 10% have earned some college credit but did not complete their degree program.
Voluntown maintains its rural charm by actively preserving its natural beauty and open space; there are several nature preserves as well as hiking trails throughout the town. Residents take great pride in their community and enjoy participating in local events such as seasonal festivals and farmers markets that are held throughout the year. Voluntown also has several recreational facilities including beaches, parks, golf courses, and fishing spots that residents often enjoy during their free time.
For population 25 years and over in Voluntown
- High school or higher: 86.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 2.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Voluntown town
- Never married: 21.2%
- Now married: 63.0%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 4.2%
- Divorced: 11.1%
2.5% Foreign born (1.9% Europe, 0.3% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Voluntown:
- WILLIAM W BACKUS HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; NORWICH, CT)
- WESTERLY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; WESTERLY, RI)
- LAWRENCE & MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; NEW LONDON, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Voluntown:
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 21 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; Abbreviation: GON)
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 33 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 48 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Voluntown:
- WESTERLY STATE (about 18 miles; WESTERLY, RI; Abbreviation: WST)
- DANIELSON (about 18 miles; DANIELSON, CT; Abbreviation: 5B3)
- RICHMOND (about 19 miles; WEST KINGSTON, RI; Abbreviation: 08R)
Amtrak stations near Voluntown:
- 11 miles: FOXWOOD CASINO (LEDYARD, ROUTE 2) – Bus Station
- 14 miles: WESTERLY (14 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: MYSTIC (RTE. 1). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Voluntown:
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 25 miles; KINGSTON, RI; Full-time enrollment: 11,759)
- EASTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; WILLIMANTIC, CT; Full-time enrollment: 4,165)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 31 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 31 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (about 31 miles; STORRS, CT; Full-time enrollment: 16,952)
- BRYANT COLLEGE (about 34 miles; SMITHFIELD, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,926)
- PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 4,456)
Public primary/middle schools in Voluntown:
- VOLUNTOWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 340; Location: 195 MAIN ST.; Grades: PK – 08)
- HOMEBOUND (Location: 195 MAIN STREET; Grades: PK – 12)
Library in Voluntown:
- VOLUNTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $32,047; Location: 115 MAIN STREET; 10,000 books; 110 audio materials; 610 video materials; 23 serial subscriptions)