According to 800zipcodes, Ho Ho Kus is a small borough located in the northern part of Bergen County, New Jersey. The borough has a total area of 1.7 square miles and is bordered by the townships of Ridgewood, Saddle River and Washington. The climate in Ho Ho Kus is typical of the northeastern United States, with cold winters and hot summers. The average annual temperature is about 49°F (9°C).
The history of Ho Ho Kus dates back to early colonial times when it was part of the vast estates owned by Dutch settlers. In 1713, the area was divided into two townships, Franklin and Orvil. In 1894, the two townships were merged to form one municipality – Ho Ho Kus – which was incorporated as a borough in 1904.
Ho Ho Kus has a Council-Manager form of government with five elected council members who serve concurrent four-year terms. The mayor is elected at-large for a four-year term while the council members are elected from four wards each representing one year terms.
The economy in Ho Ho Kus is mainly driven by service industries such as retailing and professional services. Major employers include banks and financial institutions, technology companies, health care providers and educational institutions.
Ho Ho Kus has several schools including public schools, private schools and parochial schools that serve students from kindergarten through high school level education. Some of the most notable educational institutions include Northern Valley Regional High School District at Demarest, Midland Park Public Schools District and Stony Brook School Private School for grades K-8th grade students respectively .
There are several landmarks in this small town such as Brookside Park which offers recreational activities like basketball court; tennis court; playground; picnic area; walking path; amphitheater; pavilion; gazebo; pond etc., Van Riper House Museum which displays artifacts related to Revolutionary War & Civil War era and Greystone Park which serves as an excellent venue for various events & activities like bird watching etc..
Population: 4,060. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,090 (+0.7% change)
Males: 1,944 (47.9%), Females: 2,116 (52.1%)
Median resident age: 41.1 years
Median household income: $129,900
Median house value: $456,600
Races in Ho-Ho-Kus:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.0%)
- Hispanic (2.0%)
- Korean (1.5%)
- Japanese (1.4%)
- Chinese (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Asian Indian (0.8%)
- Black (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (28.7%), Italian (24.8%), German (18.6%), English (14.5%), Dutch (3.7%), Scottish (3.1%).
Elevation: 113 feet
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Ho Ho Kus is a small borough located in Bergen County, New Jersey. It has a population of 4,078 according to the 2010 census. The population is mostly white with a few minorities including African Americans, Asians, and Hispanics. The median age is 44.8 years old and the median household income is $121,319. This makes Ho Ho Kus one of the most affluent communities in the state of New Jersey.
The majority of households are married couples with children, making up 42% of all households in the borough. Single-person households make up 33%. Most residents own their homes as opposed to renting them out and the median value of owner-occupied homes is $883,000. Around 86% of residents have completed at least some college education and 27% have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Ho Ho Kus has an average commute time of 33 minutes which is shorter than the state average by 7 minutes. The main mode of transportation used by residents is driving alone as 71% rely on this method to get to work each day compared to 10% who carpool and 13% who use public transportation. The borough also offers other forms of recreation and leisure activities such as parks, golf courses, tennis courts, walking trails and more for its residents to enjoy on their free time.
For population 25 years and over in Ho-Ho-Kus
- High school or higher: 97.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 68.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 22.6%
- Unemployed: 0.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ho-Ho-Kus borough
- Never married: 18.1%
- Now married: 71.0%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 5.3%
- Divorced: 4.4%
8.9% Foreign born (3.8% Europe, 3.8% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +110 (+2.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ho-Ho-Kus:
- VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 2 miles; RIDGEWOOD, NJ)
- BERGEN PINES COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; PARAMUS, NJ)
- RAMAPO RIDGE PSYCH HOSP (about 5 miles; WYCKOFF, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ho-Ho-Kus:
- TETERBORO (about 12 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 22 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 23 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ho-Ho-Kus:
- LITTLE FERRY (about 12 miles; LITTLE FERRY, NJ; Abbreviation: 2N7)
- LINCOLN PARK (about 15 miles; LINCOLN PARK, NJ; Abbreviation: N07)
- ESSEX COUNTY (about 15 miles; CALDWELL, NJ; Abbreviation: CDW)
Amtrak stations near Ho-Ho-Kus:
- 15 miles: YONKERS (FOOT OF DOCK ST. & WELLS AVE.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: NEWARK (RAYMOND PLAZA WEST). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: NEW YORK (PENN STA) (NEW YORK, 7TH AVE. & W. 32ND ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ho-Ho-Kus:
- BERGEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; PARAMUS, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,733)
- RAMAPO COLLEGE OF NEW JERSEY (about 7 miles; MAHWAH, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 4,076)
- PASSAIC COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; PATERSON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,452)
- ROCKLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; SUFFERN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,409)
- FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY-ALL CAMPUSES (about 10 miles; TEANECK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,482)
- WILLIAM PATERSON UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY (about 11 miles; WAYNE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 8,017)
- MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY (about 13 miles; UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 10,226)
Public primary/middle school in Ho-Ho-Kus:
- HO-HO-KUS (Students: 608; Location: LLOYD RD; Grades: KG – 08)