According to 800zipcodes, Ethan, South Dakota is a small town located in Hutchinson County. The population was estimated at 519 in 2019, making it one of the smallest cities in the state. Geographically, Ethan is situated on the northern edge of Hutchinson County, near the James River and just east of Mitchell. The climate in Ethan is typical for South Dakota: hot summers with temperatures reaching into the 90s and cold winters with temperatures often dipping below zero.
The history of Ethan dates back to 1881 when it was founded by settlers from Norway. For many years, Ethan was primarily an agricultural town but eventually shifted to a more diversified economy as businesses moved in and people began commuting to nearby cities for work. Politics in Ethan are largely conservative; most residents vote Republican in elections.
The economy of Ethan relies on various industries such as agriculture, manufacturing, retail, and tourism. There are a few schools located within city limits including an elementary school and a high school. In addition to these schools, there are also several private schools located within a few miles radius from town.
Ethan is home to many landmarks such as the historic Norwegian Lutheran Church which has been around since 1881 when the town was first founded; this church is still used today for special events such as weddings and funerals. Another popular landmark is Memorial Park which honors those who gave their lives while serving in the armed forces; this park includes monuments dedicated to those fallen heroes along with walking trails and picnic tables for visitors to enjoy year round.
Population: 330. Estimated population in July 2020: 318 (-3.6% change)
Males: 156 (47.3%), Females: 174 (52.7%)
Zip code: 57334
Median resident age: 32.7 years
Median household income: $37,917
Median house value: $56,900
Races in Ethan:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.8%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (60.0%), Irish (12.1%), Czech (6.4%), United States (5.8%), Dutch (5.5%), Norwegian (3.9%).
Elevation: 1344 feet
Land area: 0.2 square miles
Ethan, South Dakota is a small rural town located in the southeastern part of the state. As of the 2010 census, Ethan had a population of 835 people. The majority of the population is white (94.1%), followed by Native American (2.3%), African American (0.7%) and Asian (0.6%). The median household income is $44,375 and the median age is 38 years old. Most residents work in agriculture, with some employed by local businesses such as restaurants and convenience stores. There are several churches in the area and many residents attend religious services regularly. Education is important to Ethan’s residents, with most adults having at least a high school diploma or equivalent. The local school district consists of one elementary school, one middle school and one high school which serve students from kindergarten through 12th grade respectively. The town also has a public library that offers books, magazines and other resources for learning and entertainment purposes. In terms of recreational activities, there are several parks nearby that offer walking trails, playgrounds and picnic areas for families to enjoy together. Ethan also has an active volunteer fire department that provides fire protection to the community as well as emergency medical services for those in need.
For population 25 years and over in Ethan
- High school or higher: 85.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ethan town
- Never married: 15.2%
- Now married: 74.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 3.3%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +18 (+5.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ethan:
- AVERA ST BENEDICT HEALTH CENTER (about 11 miles; PARKSTON, SD)
- AVERA QUEEN OF PEACE (about 12 miles; MITCHELL, SD)
- DOUGLAS COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-CAH (about 31 miles; ARMOUR, SD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ethan:
- HURON REGIONAL (about 60 miles; HURON, SD; Abbreviation: HON)
- CHAN GURNEY MUNI (about 60 miles; YANKTON, SD; Abbreviation: YKN)
- JOE FOSS FIELD (about 87 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Abbreviation: FSD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ethan:
- PARKSTON MUNI (about 13 miles; PARKSTON, SD; Abbreviation: 8V3)
- MITCHELL MUNI (about 16 miles; MITCHELL, SD; Abbreviation: MHE)
- CORSICA MUNI (about 29 miles; CORSICA, SD; Abbreviation: D65)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ethan:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 88 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 101 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Full-time enrollment: 7,353)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 113 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 116 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 137 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 141 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
- SOUTHWEST STATE UNIVERSITY (about 165 miles; MARSHALL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,405)
Public high school in Ethan:
- ETHAN HI SCH (Students: 60; Location: 320 S 2ND ST; Grades: 09 – 12)