To enter the country for a period of not more than one month, citizens of the CIS and Russia do not need a visa. Check a2zdirectory for history of Malaysia.
When crossing the border, it is necessary to present the following series of documents at the point of arrival:
- a valid passport, the period of which must be at least six months from the date of departure;
- closed-date round-trip tickets;
- documents confirming the availability of sufficient funds for the entire stay in the country;
- completed immigration card. The card can be obtained at the point of arrival, when filling out, you must specify your full name, citizenship, date and place of birth, profession, address of permanent residence, passport number, point of departure from Malaysia, visa number (if any) and its date issuance.
There is no visa fee upon entry.
Employees at the point of arrival have the right to refuse the simplified entry procedure for people whose behavior and appearance do not correspond to generally accepted norms, as well as pregnant women whose gestation period is more than six months.
Transit visa-free stay in the country is allowed only with the confirmation of the plane ticket and only for 72 hours.
Visa for a long stay in the country
If you plan to stay in the country for a period of more than one month, you must obtain a visa. Visa documents are submitted directly to the Malaysian Embassy.
A visa, regardless of the trip, is issued once.
The consular fee is 10 USD.
The standard time for issuing a visa at the embassy takes about two weeks, the minimum is three days.
There are no restrictions on travel within the country, with the exception of the states of Sarawak and Sabah.
To apply for a visa, you need to provide the Malaysian Embassy with the following series of documents:
- valid passport;
- two questionnaires, which must be completed in English;
- official, private or tourist invitation;
- 3×4 photographs for each questionnaire;
- air tickets with a specified blackout date for departure from Malaysia.
Traveling with children is possible if they are also indicated in the invitation. Children under the age of 16 do not need a visa, they simply fit into the parent’s visa, in particular the mother’s visa.
Malaysia does not restrict the import of foreign and national currency. Amounts exceeding MYR 5,000 are subject to mandatory declaration. See Malaysia import restrictions.
It is allowed to export from the country duty-free:
- up to 50 cigars or 200 cigarettes or 225 grams of tobacco;
- up to one liter of spirits, liqueurs or wine;
- cosmetics and perfumes, for an amount not exceeding 200 MYR;
- souvenirs for an amount not exceeding 200 MYR.
It is allowed to import electronic, video, and audio equipment into the country – no more than one item per person.
Goods temporarily imported into the country and subject to duty may be stored at the customs office and issued at the time of departure from the country. For this you need to pay a deposit.
It is forbidden to import into the country:
- narcotic substances;
- weapons and ammunition (cold weapons need a special permit);
- pornographic videos and photographs;
- Israeli coins, goods or banknotes;
- clothes containing texts from the Koran;
- radio receivers – 108-174 and 68-87 MHz;
- gold jewelry exceeding the norm of 100 grams.
It is forbidden to export from the country:
- wild animals and birds;
- hevea seeds;
- living plants;
- gold, more than 100 grams;
- military uniform.
If narcotic drugs are found during export or import, violators are sentenced to the unconditional death penalty.
It is also prohibited to export counterfeit materials and products from the country. Finding pirated discs in a tourist’s luggage threatens with a fine of up to MYR 5,700 and imprisonment for up to five years.