When entering Hungary, a tourist who does not live in the Schengen area must purchase a short-stay Schengen visa, valid for up to three months (90 days). Check a2zdirectory for history of Hungary.
To obtain a Schengen visa, an application must be submitted 3 months before the planned date of visiting the Schengen area. Documents are submitted both independently and through accredited travel companies of the Hungarian Embassy. If the trip is planned as part of a tourist group, it will be convenient to grant the right to submit documents to a travel company.
The term for issuing a visa, as a rule, is 10 days, when applying for a visa, a consular fee of 35 euros must be paid. It will take 3-4 days to issue an urgent visa, the cost of such a visa will be 70 euros. Payment of the consular fee is carried out in cash in euros, when submitting documents, directly at the embassy. In case of refusal, the consular fee is not refundable.
When applying for a Schengen visa, you must have:
- Fresh photo (3.5×4.5);
- Passport and a copy of its identification page. The validity of the passport from the date of expiration of the visa must be at least 90 days;
- Copies of pages of a civil passport with existing entries;
- Questionnaire completed for obtaining a Schengen visa. You can fill out the questionnaire via the Internet, on the website of the Hungarian Embassy, then after filling it out it should be printed in black and white. The application form can also be obtained from the Hungarian consulate or embassy and filled out manually. When submitting the application must have a photo;
- Medical insurance with coverage of at least 30 thousand euros, valid in the Schengen area;
- Documents confirming the material support while staying in Hungary. The smallest amount of financial security for one day is about 50 euros. Funds are provided both in currency and in Hungarian forints. Persons under the age of 18 are required to own only half of the indicated amounts;
- Power of attorney certified by a notary to submit documents. This is necessary in case of submission of documents without personal presence;
- For a child under the age of 18 traveling to the Schengen area with one parent or other accompanying persons, relatives, it is necessary to have a travel permit from the remaining parent;
- Pension certificate – for people of retirement age.
Documents confirming financial security:
- Certificates indicating wages from the place of work;
- Bank statements on the balance of the applicant’s account, statements of financial transactions for the last three months;
- Information about the amount of pension – for pensioners;
- Certificate of registration – for private individual entrepreneurs, single private enterprises;
- A valid travel ticket, documents confirming the payment and booking of a tourist voucher and a place of residence (hotel) in the Schengen area;
- For children under the age of majority, an application from a legal representative for coverage is required, confirming the existence of the necessary material and financial expenses.
The following can also be submitted as evidence of financial support:
- Traveler’s checks;
- International credit card, with an invoice for the required amount.
Documents for obtaining a visa can be submitted by appointment, which can be done via the Internet or by phone.
Customs regulations of Hungary allow free export and import of foreign currency. It is necessary to declare amounts exceeding the equivalent of 15,000 euros. When leaving the country, the remaining Hungarian currency can be exchanged by presenting a receipt confirming the initial currency exchange. It is allowed to import the national Hungarian currency in an amount not exceeding 350 thousand forints. See Hungary import restrictions.
It is allowed to import duty free to citizens who have reached the age of 17 and arrive in the country by air transport: cigarettes, no more than 200 pieces or 250 grams of tobacco; upon arrival in the country on another mode of transport – up to 40 cigarettes or 50 grams of tobacco.
Also, when traveling by any mode of transport, it is allowed to import into the country: 1 liter of alcoholic beverages (alcohol content more than 22 ° C) or 2 liters of alcoholic beverages (alcohol content less than 22 ° C), or 4 liters of grape wine, or 16 liters of beer.
It is recommended to declare valuables when entering the country in order to avoid any problems when leaving.
The export of souvenirs from the country, as well as gifts in monetary terms, is not limited. There is a restriction on the export of alcoholic or tobacco products from the country, in the same quantities as when imported.
Prohibited import and export from the country: drugs and weapons.
Embassy of Hungary in Russia
Embassy of Hungary in Moscow
Address: Moscow, st. Mosfilmovskaya 62
Phone/fax: (495) 796-93-77, 796-93-81
Consulate General of Hungary in St. Petersburg
Address: 191025, St. Petersburg, st. Marata 15
Phone: (812) 312-64-28, 312-67-53, 312-92-00, 314-58-05, 312-64-32